The Historic Gallegos Ranch lies within Harding County and is centrally located between Logan and Mosquero along US highway 39 in eastern New Mexico. The ranch consists of approximately 8,400 acres more or less of deeded land and approximately 3,426 acres more or less of State Lease. The Headquarters are located just off of the highway along Ute Creek and have historic significance. The ranch was originally granted to the Gallegos family in the early 1800’s from the King of Spain and was kept within the family until it was sold to the current owner in 1977. The original ranch was approximately 375,000 acres and consisted of the headquarters home, a bunkhouse, multiple out buildings, a general store, a saloon, a school and a church. The ranch issued it own script currency for use at the store and saloon.
Ute Creek flows through the eastern side of the ranch for approximately 3 miles. When the creek is not flowing there are numerous water holes standing along the flow line of the creek. In addition, there are 2 other seasonal creeks-the Rincon and the Deposito. There are 6 wells scattered thru the ranch and approximately 17 earthen tanks developed for year long water sources. Exterior fencing is in excellent condition and interior fencing is in good condition. The working pens are steel pipe and panels w/ loading chutes and water.
The ranch terrain varies from 4,100′ to 5.100′. The eastern side is rolling grasslands and sandy soils. Gramma grass, Buffalo grass, Tabosa and some Saccatone are the predominant grasses. The western side is predominantly gramma grass with mixed Juniper, pinon and Ponderosa tree cover. Roads are in good condition.
Wildlife abounds. Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, the occasional Bear and Mountain Lion, Barbary Sheep, Wild Turkey, Antelope, Ducks and Blue Quail roam the ranch.